Thursday 3 March 2011

Rog's Blog

I learned to draw at the school, I mean not in art's school but during any class. I used to be so bored I spent most of the time illustrating my school books. In that sense I am a self-taught illustrator, although Pitagoras, Gauss, Mendelsson, Nietzsche, Plato and many others were a huge source of inspiration.

I started studying English philology, you know: language and literature, but I switched to Film studies and Video Production. I have worked for television and radio and for some strange twist of fate, for a little while, I worked in the music industry.

My dream was to become a Film director, but I am not really sure that's exactly what I wanted. I like writing, playing music, photography, acting, designing and, obviously, directing. You could say I'm a "jack for all trades" (but master of none).

The bottom line is that what I have always enjoyed is storytelling. Either it is with a song, a picture or a short story, and thats why I think illustration might be the thing for me. I have always been quite impatient, and always eager to find new interests, and that's why illustration is so perfect for me, I can tell a story with 3 or 4 images.

I directed a short film of which I am very proud, but it took, literally, years to complete. Loads of people were involved, money I had to spend, things to coordinate...I have tons of short stories and scripts I could turn into short films, but it would take me ages. With illustration, I only depend on myself, my pecil and my laptop. I can use my filming knowledge, my music skills and my writing talent. In the end, it's all about storytelling.

For those who haven't seen my short film yet, here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment